Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jute Balls... they actually worked!

 I had seen a few tutorials floating around the blog world on how to make your own jute balls. I had all the supplies on hand, so one day during nap time I decided to go for it! That's the life of a mom.. when you got a minute..you GO!

I gathered:
white glue
warm water
a spoon for mixing
a measuring cup
a bowl to mix in
vaseline
balloons 
jute
paper towel
I covered a baking sheet with wax paper
Oh and I put down a plastic table cloth... this is gonna get messy!





Once I had gathered all my materials I mixed one part glue to 2 parts warm water. This is where the measuring cup came in. My bottle of glue was 4oz (118ml) so I used 1 cup (8oz) water and added the whole bottle of glue to the water and stirred it with my spoon to mix well. Then I added the jute. My highly scientific method of measuring the jute was.. I pulled 5-6 double arm lengths off the roll.



Next, I blew up the balloon to the size I wanted. Mine was about 6 inches in diameter.

Now.. it gets messy!! You better make sure you have 10 minutes of uninterrupted time.. trust me!

I squeezed out a glob of Vaseline and smeared it all over the balloon.


Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the next step.. it was messy and it needed all hands on. 

Grab your balloon by the knot in one hand and use the other to start pulling the jute out of your bowl. This is the really messy, drippy, splashy part. Continue to turn your balloon in different directions criss crossing your jute as much as possible. Once you've got a few layers you'll be able to let go of the knot and just balance the ball in your hand. After a few tries I started running the jute through my fingers just above the bowl trying to drip some of the excess back into the bowl.


When I reached the end of my jute I tucked it in and rested the ball on my tray to dry. While they were hanging out on the tray drying.. every time I passed by, I gave them a little turn trying to avoid having a flat spot.



Here it is 48 hrs later, perfectly dry and stiff. Woo Hoo! 

Now for the scary part... popping the balloon. I took my scissors and sniped off the knot of the balloon and poof, it shrunk and the ball kept it's shape... another celebration!  I gently pulled the balloon out and Voila! 

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! Thanks for posting. Gonna give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that! They look great! I'm going to give this a try as well!

    ReplyDelete